أهلًا وسَهلًا! Welcome to Dr. Bulbul’s Arabic. If you’re learning Arabic, but would like tips as well as links to useful instructional videos, Arabic songs, and articles related to Arabic, you’re in the right place.
New material is constantly being added. To ensure you don’t miss any new items, you can also follow this blog on Facebook by following the DrBulbulsArabic page. Here is a summary of material currently available on this site:
Things to Watch and Listen To
- Skaykh Munaf’s Arabic conversations. These are appropriate for the beginning and intermediate learner. I have posted detailed commentary pages on some of these.
- ArabicPod101’s “Arabic in Three Minutes” Series. These videos introduce useful words and phrases and are appropriate for the beginning and intermediate learner. I have posted detailed commentary pages on some of these.
- Learning family members with a children’s video. Practice expressions like ‘my mother’ and ‘my father’. For beginners.
- “Egypt is my mother” song (مصر هي أمّي). In this post I guide you through the refrain of a well-known song. Appropriate for all levels.
- Learn the numbers 1 through 10 with children’s videos. This post will help you use either of two children’s videos to practice your numbers. For beginners.
- Miscellaneous easy conversation videos on YouTube. This is where I post links to other video material you might find useful. Periodically updated with new links.
- Easy Arabic story videos by “Arabic with Nadia”. These are very easy and were designed for adult learners of Arabic.
- Learn 10 professions with a Zakaria children’s video.
Read in Arabic
- Al-Manhal’s collection of children’s story books for learners of Arabic. For a very easy one, check on the very first in the series: أنا وأخي (“Me and my brother”), which includes some important vocabulary about one’s morning routine.
- Who is Miss Minousch? A short reading packet written by Dr. Bulbul himself. This is a perfect thing to read if you have just completed the Bite-Size Arabic book.
Grammar, Vocabulary, and the Like
- Online Arabic dictionaries, a review of four online resources.
- All about يَشْرَب yashrab ‘to drink’. For all levels.
- Talking about eating and meals. For beginners and intermediate learners.
- Nominative, genitive, accusative: Arabic’s three grammatical cases. A very basic introduction. Appropriate for all levels.
- Mastering Arabic 1: Supplemental materials. Supplemental exercises and materials for teaching Wightwick and Gaafar’s beginning Arabic textbook.
Items of General Interest
- An American journalist learns Arabic during the Egyptian revolution. Comments on an article that appeared in the New Yorker magazine.
- Depictive calligraphy: When the word for ‘duck’ looks like a duck.
- Where’s Zamalek? About a residential district in Cairo.